The Sixty Steps detailed Timeline

The below dates are as accurate as we currently have:

1841.

Great Western Road officially opened.

                             

Glasgow Observatory erected on Dowanhill drumlin by the Glasgow Astronomical Institute.

1842.

Botanic Gardens opened to members of the Royal Botanic Institution on land bought from the Kelvinside Estate Co .c1839.

1850s  

Hamilton Drive was laid out and terraces erected on the south bank of the Kelvin.  

                             

The north bank was still thickly wooded.

1862.

Proposed layout of North Park/Botanic Gardens area published to attract developers. 

1866.

North Park Terrace was designed by Alexander ‘Greek’ Thomson and later built on the site of the original North Park House.

1869-71

The new North Park House was built overlooking the Botanic Gardens for John and Matthew Perston Bell.

1869.

Coach proprietor John Ewing Walker bought a large plot of land on the north bank of the Kelvin from the Kelvinside Estate Co. and a small plot on the opposite South bank.

1870.

The first Queen Margaret Bridge, known as Walker’s Bridge, was built to connect Great Western Road to Walker’s proposed development of North Kelvinside.

1870-72.

The Kelvinside retaining wall and sixty steps, designed by Alexander ‘Greek’ Thomson for J.E. Walker, created an elevated site for new housing and became a landmark for the new development.

Late 1870s

The tenements of Kelvinside Terrace West and South were constructed.

c.1872

Thomson converts his own design, the Exhibition Buildings (1855) in Smith Street (Otago Street) into a coach house and stables for John E. Walker.

1873.

The Kibble Palace is opened in the Botanic Gardens.

c. 1880.

Hillhead Bowling Club, tennis courts and Kelvinside Nursery (famous for its tomatoes) were developed between Hamilton Drive and the river.

1884.

Queen Margaret College for Women was established in North Park House.

1880s

Tenements were built on Queen Margaret Road, west of the Sixty Steps.

1895.

 A medical school, designed by Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh, was erected in the grounds of Queen Margaret College.

1926-9

The new Queen Margaret Bridge was constructed, running between the Kibble Palace and Queen Margaret College.

1935.

The BBC buys Queen Margaret College. 

1955-65

The BBC buys the land to the east of their headquarters for expansion, taking in the access to the old bridge.

1971.

Walker’s Bridge is demolished leaving piers on each bank of the river.

                     

The BBC is further extended.

2010-11

The BBC moves and their extended buildings are demolished.

c.2013

The BBC headquarters, formerly Queen Margaret College, becomes a private house once more and regains its original name of North Park House.

2015.

The construction of new flats and townhouses on the former BBC site behind North Park House begins.

  • Google Places
  • Facebook
  • YouTube
  • Instagram
  • Twitter

©2020 by The Sixty Steps. GTSSPT, All rights reserved.

Company No: 277072,

Charity No: SC037773 

Stay Informed